US strikes on Iran could target individuals, pursue regime change: report

Last Updated: February 21, 2026By

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Potential U.S. military strikes on Iran could target specific individuals and even pursue regime change, a report said. 

Two U.S. officials who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity reportedly said those are options that have emerged in the planning stage, if ordered by President Donald Trump. They did not say which individuals could be targeted, but Trump, notably, in 2020 ordered the U.S. military attack that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ elite Quds Force. 

Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House for comment. 

Trump already said Friday that he is “considering” a limited military strike on Iran to pressure its leaders into a deal over its nuclear program, when asked by a reporter at the White House.

BUILT FOR WEEKS OF WAR: INSIDE THE FIREPOWER THE US HAS POSITIONED IN THE MIDDLE EAST

President Donald Trump at White House press briefing

President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. Trump said Friday he is “considering” a limited military strike on Iran. (Allison Robbert/AP)

Last week, when questioned if he wanted regime change in Iran, the president said, “Well it seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.” 

Trump on Thursday suggested the window for a breakthrough is narrowing in talks with Iran, indicating Tehran has no more than “10, 15 days, pretty much maximum” to reach an agreement. 

“We’re either going to get a deal, or it’s going to be unfortunate for them,” he said.

TRUMP GIVES IRAN 10-DAY ULTIMATUM, BUT EXPERTS SIGNAL TALKS MAY BE BUYING TIME FOR STRIKE

USS Gerald R. Ford

The USS Gerald R. Ford is heading to the Middle East as the U.S. is building up its military presence there, amid talks with Iran. (U.S Naval Forces Central Command / U.S. 6th Fleet / Handout via Reuters)

A Middle Eastern source with knowledge of the negotiations told Fox News Digital this week that Tehran understands how close the risk of war feels and is unlikely to deliberately provoke Trump at this stage.  

However, the source said Iran cannot accept limitations on its short-range missile program, describing the issue as a firm red line set by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.  

Iranian negotiators are not authorized to cross that boundary, and conceding on missiles would be viewed internally as equivalent to losing a war.

Iranian General Qasem Soleimani, left, Former President Donald Trump, right

In 2020, the Pentagon said President Donald Trump ordered the U.S. military strike that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, left, in Iraq. (Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The source indicated there may be more flexibility about uranium enrichment parameters if sanctions relief is part of the equation. 

Fox News’ Emma Bussey and Efrat Lachter contributed to this report. 


Source link

editor's pick

latest video

Sports News To You

Subscribe to receive daily sports scores, hot takes, and breaking news!